POSITION TITLE: Volunteer Product Designer of Handmade Goods
We need a designer in touch with current trends, as well as American and European tastes and styles, that can collaborate with our Guatemalan designer/seamstress, work within a budget, and design saleable products from development to completion for our target markets. Knowledge of key demographics and an innovative perspective on product development are important in this role. Salability is key to increasing our revenue and helping us achieve self sufficiency.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or creative person with professional experience
- Work experience in design
- Intermediate Spanish
- Knowledge of sewing and production processes helpful
- Understanding of current trends in gift markets in the US and Europe
- Attention to detail
- Ability to plan, schedule, coordinate and problem solve effectively
- Adaptive design eye and skill
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly motivated
- Ability to teach and train people in production process of products
- Ability to absorb and apply constructive criticism from peers and clients
- Flexibility and versatility
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Familiarize yourself with the product line’s market as a whole.
- Research new materials and methods of development for the UPAVIM artisans.
- Create prototypes and confirm designs and costs with US Director, UPAVIM advisor and crafts administrator. Work with design team to develop design solutions if needed.
- Work creatively and pragmatically to select materials and techniques that keep within budget and pricing of product.
- Ensure components and assemblies adhere to availability in Guatemala and the UPAVIMa’s skill level
- Perform physical testing and washing on prototypes for quality assurance.
- Meet current safety standards on children’s products.
- Train seamstresses and handworkers on how to make the products.
- Work within timely schedules to coordinate the completion of tasks through to final project completion.
- Plan and design packaging or tagging if needed for each product that is visually appealing, ecofriendly and functional.
- Conduct on-site observations and production techniques. Provide recommendations to help streamline ongoing design projects.
- Work with quality control to ensure high standards
- Prepare and participate in client presentations when necessary
- Oversee the product line’s life cycle and anticipate any problems.
- Evaluate market competition and position the product line so that it appeals to consumers.
- Identify and approach potential distributors in Guatemala
- $500/month plus modest accommodation. Cost of living is very low. One year commitment required.
Please send an e-mail letting us know where you heard about the job and why you would love to work for UPAVIM Crafts. Also include your resume and send to: email@example.com
Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.